How To Do an RV Bedroom Renovation in 3 Steps
Remodeling an RV bedroom makes many RVers break out a cold sweat. But it shouldn’t be scary.
In fact, it’s fun, and there are a lot of ways you could transform your dated little space into some amazing.
I’ll share how much difference simple changes can make in an area that can hold a little more than your bed.
RV Bed Upgrade
The bed is the first upgrade you should focus on in your RV bedroom. It’s your spot for rest, relaxation, and recharge. It’s also the most prominent thing in your bedroom.
Granted, it’s easy to think there are limited options for the RV bed, but far from it.
Here’re the main things to keep in mind when upgrading your RV bedroom:
There’s a wide range of bed styles to consider for your RV, but your RV lifestyle should inspire the ideal style.
- General Note: Please allow 24 - 72 hours for your Mattress to regain its full shape. Any memory foam will expand faster in a warmer room. In cold temperature, at delivery, your mattress may take a bit longer to return to full sized from its compressed state.The expansion time of the mattress will vary as per the surrounding.
- INSPIRED BY NATURE - Wholesome and natural ingredients, like green tea and moisture-absorbing charcoal work wonders in a mattress! And we’ve designed this one to control odors, maintain freshness, and envelop your shape so you awake restored and refreshed.PRESSURE-RELIEVING FOAMS - 2 inches conforming memory foam, 2 inches airflow-enhancing comfort foam, and 4 inches durable, high density base support foam; ideal for stomach sleepers and average-weight sleepers
- CERTIPUR US CERTIFIED - Highest quality foam is CertiPUR US Certified for durability, performance, and content
- EXPERTLY PACKAGED - Our technology allows this mattress to be efficiently compressed into one box that’s easily shipped and maneuvered into the bedroom; simply unbox, unroll and this mattress does the rest, expanding to its original shape within 72 hours
- Worry-free 10 year limited warranty included; twin mattress supports a maximum weight of 250 lbs, while all other sizes can support up to 500 lbs
Three of the most popular styles are:
1. Single sleeper
A single sleeper bed is also known as a folding bed. A big benefit of these beds is they can easily fit into your RV wall, freeing up much of the coveted RV floor space.
Some of these beds also have dual functionality and can transform into a sofa. They’re perfect when RVing alone and need some extra space.
2. Crew beds
Aptly named the crew beds, this style is perfect when you’ve multiple people on board.
Some of the popular styles of beds n this category include stacked bunk beds and overhead bunks. They’re perfect for accommodating multiple users while saving on space.
The traditional bed is your typical RV bed. It’s an OEM bed.
However, these beds aren’t close to your home bed. They’re generally shorter and smaller and come with rounded corners.
Every time I get a new motorhome, the first thing I usually do is replace the mattress. The truth is most RVs will underwhelm you with their bedding.
Most of the bedding is thin pads on plywood, and it seems brutal just laying on them for a few minutes. They’re worse than carpet on a concrete slab.
And here’s the thing, I’m by no means a mattress snob or anything. My home mattress isn’t fancy either, and I occasionally crash out on my couch. I can pretty much sleep anywhere.
The problem with OEM RV mattresses is they are trash, and hard, even when they use the brand one. It’s a difficult experience sleeping on one, especially if you’re used to a plush one at home.
If you’re disappointed with your RV bed, I suggest a foam topper until you get a new RV bed. I like the cool-jell memory foam because it doesn’t get too warm and keeps my sweating in check.
One thing to understand is that RV foam toppers are a band-aid. You need a decent base to use a topper, and if your RV mattress is crap, it’ll eventually sag or sink after several uses.
- PERSONALIZED COMFORT: Plush gel infused memory foam conforms to your curves for personalized comfort that hugs you to sleep—available in 2 or 3 inch mattress topper profiles
- PERFECTLY PAIRED: Pair your memory foam gel topper with a mattress topper cover for added protection and enhanced comfort, or just order the topper on its own—either way we’ve got you covered
- MATTRESS MAKEOVER: Rejuvenate an old mattress, soften a too-hard mattress, or simply prolong the life of your mattress with a protective layer of gel infused memory foam
- EASY SETUP: Your gel infused mattress topper arrives compressed, but set up only takes 4 easy steps: open your package, unroll the mattress, cut the plastic, then allow 24-48 hours to expand (allow extra time for expansion in cooler temperatures)
- REST ASSURED: Sleep soundly knowing your mattress topper is CertiPUR Certified. Available in a full range of sizes, you're getting the best of the best with our high quality gel infused memory foam.
- 【BAMBOO MATTRESS TOPPER】: With 1000GSM of premium fluffy loft, this hotel quality bed topper will transform your mattress from ordinary to unparalleled comfort and supreme softness - while maintaining outstanding support and cushioning.
- 【COOL & BREATHABLE】: Encased in 40% of the smoothest, silky soft breathable bamboo fabric, our mattress topper is designed to deliver excellent ventilation and evenly distributes heat to prevent you from feeling hot and sweaty.
- 【ELASTIC DEEP POCKET FITTED SKIRT】: Our elasticated deep pocket skirt will wrap tightly around your mattress and accommodates depths from 8-21 inches. This clever skirt works exactly like a fitted sheet to ensure your mattress topper will remain securely in place.
- 【Machine Washable & easy Care】: Be it sweat or stains, you will never get them out of topper or expensive mattress. This mattress topper will take care of them all. If it gets dirty, just throw it into a commercial washing machine, it will come out fluffy and clean after washing and drying. No expensive dry cleaning necessary. Economical and sustainable.
- 【100% Customer Satisfaction】：Please leave it several hours before use or just put it in a dryer machine for fluffier. We provide100% satisfaction after sale service, if there is anything wrong with your order, just feel free to contact us, we will make every effort to solve your problem.
My most common suggestion to RVers having issues with their OEM RV beds is to buy a new mattress and save the cost of a topper.
A new mattress is much more comfortable, and you’ll sleep like a baby when you get one. And depending on the size of your RV, you could even fit a standard queen bed. Talk of luxury!
Custom RV Mattress
From experience, most foam shops make custom mattresses. And the good thing with custom RV beds is they make one according to the firmness, density, color, and material you want.
You can even order layers like gel foam or memory foam.
In all our RVs, we’ve ordered foam mattresses because they’re ultra-light, and this is handy if weight is a concern or you just don’t like wrestling heavy mattresses.
Bedroom Curtains and Blinds
The debate between curtains and blinds is usually the basis disagreement in my RV.
I’m a curtain person because they bring style and comfort to the bedroom. They’re also much easier to maintain, cheaper, and easily changed when I want to.
On the other hand, my partners love the ease of the blinds.
Either way, the bedroom windows are one department you can upgrade without much effort.
- These RV blinds in cappuccino are a great replacement or upgrade to your RV. They are light enough that they will not collect lots of dust and allergens and will easily raise and lower.
- Closing the blinds to block out harmful UV rays or to just get some privacy is a much-needed application in an RV, which is why we wanted to give you an option that moved with ease. While being light in weight, they are opaque and are not able to be seen through. With this level of privacy, they are great for nighttime.
- The cappuccino color is also perfect for RV interiors, with the calm and solid color helping add a relaxing vibe to your home away from home. Durable and long-lasting, they’ll keep you in comfort for a long time to come. Installation is quick and easy with the mounting hardware provided and once it’s up, it’s easy to move and use.
- If returned Items are due to the customer ordering the wrong size, style, or color, they are automatically subject to a 10% restocking fee unless otherwise noted in product description.
- Cordless Blinds: Filter out light with the Achim Cordless Light Filtering Mini Blinds. These lightweight, vinyl blinds with no cords to get tangled are child and pet safe. Durable, high quality construction resists warping, fading, and sagging.
- Find the Perfect Fit: Blinds will fit windows 3/8" (0.95 cm) smaller and 1/2" (1.27 cm) wider than stated size. Actual blind is 1/2 " (1.27 cm) narrower than stated size. Actual slat size is 1".
- Easy to Install: Includes all the hardware you will need with simple instructions to make installation easy and convenient! Features hidden mounting brackets designed for inside, outside, or ceiling installation.
- How to Use: When the sun is too bright or you want to take in the view, simply lift or lower the bottom rail to raise or lower blinds. Use the tilt wand to filter in the ideal amount of light and privacy.
- Choose from a Wide Variety of Styles: Available in 5 colors: Alabaster, White, Black, Woodtone, and Grey, and 5 drop lengths: 25”, 42”, 48”, 64”, and 72” so you’re sure to find the perfect fit for your home.
RV Bedroom Curtains Vs. Blinds
Your RV’s size and capacity should be your guide when picking between the two.
Roller blinds could be the perfect upgrade if your bedroom size is small. They’re smooth, unobtrusive, and give the vibe of a bigger space. They also make your RV windows look colossal, tall, and spacious.
On the other hand, if your RV bedroom is generally spacious, the curtains will provide a warm, cuddly feeling.
Curtains are also perfect when you need a reasonable play of regular light. I like the thermal curtains because they make a huge difference in the room’s temperature and are perfect when battling the summer heat. It keeps the sun’s rays out.
Whichever shade you pick, it should have room-darkening properties. It’s important to seal or block light in your RV bedroom.
Personally, the darkened curtains usually help with random lights in the RV parks or at Walmart. They’re also handy if your dog is always barking at strangers when going for a walk through the park.
And if you’ve kids, these darkened curtains will plunge a glaringly bright room into the perfect darkness, so your kids won’t wake up at 5:30 am.
RV Bedroom Closet Storage
RV bedrooms are generally tiny, so you need to consider the storage possibilities.
It’s unlikely you’ll fit an entire wardrobe into your RV bedroom, but you could use some clever storage solutions to expand your space.
- 【LARGE & MULTI-USE STORAGE】 A total size of 56" x 18" x 56" for this storage shelf. Each storage cube is 14"x18"x14" large, 3x more space than normal cube. Great storage space to store folded clothes, bags, accessories, shoes, books, toys, yarn and pretty much anything you want!
- 【MODULAR STORAGE】Separate cube storage helps keep your clothes tidy, all your things are precisely matched.
- 【INGENIOUS DESIGN】Customizable and Classic design so that they can fit into different places with different styles of decoration.
- 【HASSLE-FREE ASSEMBLY】Simple assembly in a brief time with detailed installation manual and video provided.
- 【EASY MAINTENANCE】Dust-resistant wardrobes keep your clothes away from dirt and water-proof panels are easy to clean.
- Space saving organizer: 50" length x 17.7" width x 66" height, which makes it suitable for organizing your storage space.
- Non woven fabric zippered cover, not the sliding curtains. High quality steel tube. PP plastic connectors.
- Spacious clothes closet: Space is a big problem for storage. This type of closet could give you the big space for clothes.
- Portable storage closet will meet your long term storage needs.
- Easy to assemble, no tools required. By the way, please make sure to insert rods into the bottom of plastic parts, protect the cover and fabric shelves from being torn due to the incorrect size of the frame. If found extra components are replacement parts.
One of my go-to storage hacks is using hanging accessories. Adding hooks or a line of tight, sturdy wire across your RV bedroom will provide a brilliant space to hang your belts, scarves, tops, purses, pants, and even skirts.
However, before installing the hanging line, ensure it’s up to the task and that it can handle your load and everything.
Hangers are yet another space-saving hero in an RV bedroom. Hangers are pleasant for storing items that don’t need folding, such as bras or tank tops.
The hangers are great, where there’s not a lot of space to play with.
A slim shoe cabinet is also a handy space-saving measure in your RV. I find it more convenient and clutter-free than throwing shoes on the closet floor.
You could also make out of your storage wall space or back doors. Attach a rack, shelve or any other vertical storage space of your RV wall or back of the door and use it to hang items such as necklaces, earrings, bracelets, and even shoes.
I also like putting plastic bins and drawers under my RV bed. The binds are handy for keeping my room clutter-free and storing away clothes.
But the most important RV bedroom storage tip is the organization doesn’t stop after remodeling. It’s important to clean and declutter your bedroom at regular intervals.
Downsize and eliminate stuff you’ve not been using, as they’re likely to distract you from the style and function of your RV bedroom.